Sunday, April 5, 2009

iPhone Haters?!?

As I was browsing for an article to blog about this week, I came across a headline which dramatically caught my attention. I am an iPhone user, and I love it, I wouldn't trade it for the world. This particular NYTimes headline read, "I Hate My iPhone," by Virginia Heffernan. So, I clicked on it because I had to find out what it was that bothered the person who hated something that makes my life easier. As I read, I was being understanding. Because the day I bought my phone, the salesperson did not even ask me if I had any questions. Of course, I was so happy I hadn't realized it. But the iPhone is very easy and after messing around with it's vast features, I soon got the hang of it. Heffernan also mentions how text messages work in the iPhone. I would agree that it was tricky getting the hang of the typing, but as other phones, one rapidly copes with it. In the end, I was in shock as I read the article because I did not think it was possible for one to hate the iPhone enough to not want to discover its usage and to want to return it. I would have to respectfully disagree with Heffernan and must add that she could have given the iPhone a chance. These are the phones that are quickly becoming the norm. It is not surprise that phone services are competing over which carries the best smart phone as in the Blackberry Storm, amongst others.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand why it would be easy to judge a technology without giving it a chance. My dad had gotten a Palm Centro several a few months before I got mine. I had dinked around with his and was not that impressed with it's features, despite the fact that I didn't give it a full chance. Then, I got my own Palm Centro, and after learning of all the features and how convenient a lot of its applications are to my life, I fell in love! New technologies should always be given a shot...

Joe said...

I personally don't have an iphone but my father does; i know weird huh. After going through the iphone i got the hang of the device and it was easy to work with. But i do understand that some savvy phones such as the iphone to say the least can be technical at times, you just have to spend some time trying to adapt yourself to your phone.

Alex said...

Am just simply excited how this technology is developing. Really the "omni-tool" of the future that does everything and anything we want is close to being true. The power we have and connectivity control is impressive if we really think about how old the internet really is.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to sound like such an old fart when I say this, but what happened to the good old days when a phone was simply used as a device to call someone else? Cell phones have evolved so much in just the past decade. I remember our first family Sprint cell phone back in 1996 that looked like a black brick with an antenna, and its battery was just as big as the phone itself. Today everything is so small and sleek. If it weren't for the fact that everyone needs to see their screens to text nowadays we'd probably be using Zoolander-esque phones by now.

While the younger generations have a much better handle on the vast array of technologies that the iPhone has to offer, it is a shame that it does not cater to older, less tech-saavy individuals as well. I'll probably never get an iPhone, but it seems simple enough to understand for me. However, give it to my 78-year-old grandfather, or even my 50-year-old mother and they would have a very hard time figuring out what to do with it. It's too bad Apple doesn't expand its customer service to give people a basic rundown of the phone's workings before they leave the store. It would save many people time, gas, and headache.

Ginny said...

Like any technology it takes a while to get used to. All of the features of the iPhone and sorts are amazing. It is easy to say that you hate something when you're frustrated and confused about it. I think you're right, it just takes some playing around to get the hang of it.