Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Journalists Nightmare?

For this weeks reaction to the reading, I decided to spark a conversation on Brian Solis' Ebook, The Art and Science of Blogger Relation. Although it is a rather long reading, I found that The New Rules for Breaking News is quite interesting because the section gave me a different perspective of the blogospher. Even though I have been blogging for about 8 weeks already, I still am learning on how this part of the cyber world functions. And now I, a new perspective is derived from a journalists point of view.

In this section of his Ebook, Solis provides his opinion regarding the transition of journalism to blogging. Solis writes:
For example, one of the primary reasons that we launch most tech companies and
products in “Beta” these days is because we want feedback directly from the
people who would jump in early and give honest feedback as well as sharing the
information with their friends and associates. And, if a product is in Beta,
most traditional media wouldn’t yet pay attention. However, those journalists
who do feel a greater sense of competition with bloggers in order to be one of
the first to share new, new information, will make it known through their
coverage.
Here, Solis provides an insight regarding a new rule for PR, how blogging functions and says why bloggers might be a competition for journalists.

I think journalists should be aware of bloggers, but I don't think they should live in fear, not yet anyway. We are transition into a the cyber world quite fast and journalists should take the transition into consideration. Journalists should also be able to process feedback, and should want to hear it from their readers, this is what might be hurting them. I don't think bloggers are deliberately in competition with journalists, but I do think that journalists should adopt the culture of bloggers if they respect their reputation.

No comments: